What happens when one woman (me) wears the world’s most versatile dress (a classic Diane von Furstenberg wrap) every day for thirty days? Well, there’s really only one way to find out.


Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day twenty-nine - my wrap dress could beat up your wrap dress

My roommate and unofficial DVF Experiment Creative Director Amy also owns a black wrap dress. It is not a DVF. She has always been skeptical about my assertion that my wrap dress would outperform hers in the field. So we put it to the test tonight in a wrap off at the Cantab Lounge in Cambridge.



The Cantab is best described as the only bar in Cambridge where you can chat up a Harvard Law student, but where a resident of the local YMCA could also conceivably buy you a beer. It was the perfect place for a wrap dress thrown-down.

Amy's wrap cuts an intimidating form - it drapes nicely, it has a flattering capped sleeve - but it doesn't have the staying power of the DVF. After only a modest mount of dancing, her wrap started to gape in front. Mine stayed put - impressive, since for better or worse, I tend to use a lot of shoulder while dancing. (Even more impressive is the fact that it has more or less held its shape, 29 days in.)

So while Amy's knockoff is pretty to look at, I wouldn't want to get caught dancing in it. Better luck next time, poor imitation of the DVF.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the fun... guess i'll have to start working rather than following your blog daily.

    PS: is there anyway tomorrow's headline will not be something like: 'its a wrap'.... i bet you're far more creative than me.

    PPS: i see drew barrymore playing you in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two cents... while I admit that the DVF has far more staying power than my knockoff, I would like to think it was the power of my dancing which caused the gape. I doubt even the DVF could contain my moves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a challenge? The dress is free, as of tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete